Tuesday 11 August 2015

Small Talk Plays A Big Role In Our Kitchen...



Small Talk Plays a BIG Role in a Hotel (1)

Throughout my career in hospitality, I have only ever been in serious trouble once, for talking - I managed to have a city centre college evacuated as pan I had on the stove caught fire because I was talking to a colleague! If I hadn't talked constantly, and sometimes to the annoyance of my colleagues, I would never have the insight into the many different lives, cultures and beliefs that surround me on a daily basis. 

Whether its from the long timers here at the New Continental Hotel who talk dearly of Mr Steve; describing  how the hotel used to be, the famous people that have stayed and how the style of food has changed so much with the times. To being in awe of the usually grumpy breakfast chefs tales of working cruise ships as a young man in the 1970's, having days off in port in New York City and spending all his wages on the latest hi-fi and records to take back to the UK to show off to friends. Or listening to a chambermaids story of how she gave up a job as an accountant to move to England to provide a better education for her son and how he has just made it all worth while by this summer being accepted to Oxford. A casual conversation about swimming the other day revealed an ex competition swimmer in our hotel staff!

It's good to talk... (1)

So far in my career I've worked with many fascinating characters, who have the most captivating stories amongst which; the brother of famous Pop star, a chef who worked for McLaren F1, another who was friends with Ben but not Jerry (yes the ice cream founders!), I've been invited to celebrate holy festivals that I would never had any insight too, and been given delicious homemade foods that would be found in no cookbook. 

I am constantly surprised by the amazing stories I hear whilst chatting on a short break, between checks, or the sneaky cup of coffee taken in the break room before a busy lunch service starts; although now I always make sure I’ve taken all pans off the stove first!

In catering we often work long hours, in hot kitchens and it can be, at times quite intense, but the brief moments when I stop to chat and learn something new about a colleague are the ones I take home with me.
Lady Chef x



No comments:

Post a Comment